Mother of Pearl Liquid Luster
|Article number:||Mother of Pearl Cone 022-018|
|Availability:||In stock (5)|
Duncan's Mother of Pearl Luster is an overglaze that produces beautiful opalescent colors. It is typically applied to accent or highlight ceramic wares or jewelry. Lusters are considered overglazes because they are typically applied to glaze-fired pottery, on top of the glaze. The piece is then fired again at a low temperature (see details below).
Mother of Pearl luster appears iridescent when applied on top of a white glaze. Luster colors will vary depending on the glaze underneath them. As always, we recommend conducting tests prior to use on your work.
How to use:
1. Be sure that the surface of your piece is free of dust, skin oils and lotions to ensure proper adhesion. Wipe surfaces with rubbing alcohol prior to applying the overglaze (except when used over crackle glazes).
2. Always apply with a brush that is designated solely for use with the luster to prevent contamination.
3. Do not stir or shake the luster overglaze.
4. Place a small amount of luster on a glazed palette. Apply one smooth coat. Do not let the luster pool in an area; brush it out smoothly and evenly.
5. Overglazed ware can be fired while it is still wet. The kiln must be clean, well-ventilated (do not overload) and follow a normal firing schedule. Do not touch wet decoration and handle as little as possible until ware is fired to avoid smudging.
6. Fire the luster to cone 020.
This product is not intended for use by children and should always be handled with caution and in a well-ventilated area. Precious metal lusters should not be used on surfaces that will come in contact with food or drink.
Not food safe. Not microwavable.