All kilns should be vented to the outside.
The Bailey Double Fume Vent System is a direct fume system designed to pull fumes from the firing chamber before they can leak into the studio. It can be connected to 1 or 2 kilns up to a total of 17 Cu Ft. There are 3 major benefits to this type of vent:
- Maintains a safe work space free of unpleasant and potentially hazardous fumes.
- Improves firing results- a clean atmosphere produces brighter colors and better surface finishes.
- Extends kiln life- by removing fumes immediately from the firing chamber, elements, electronics and the kiln jacket are protected from their corrosive effects.
A single small hole (approx 3/8”) is drilled in the back wall of each kiln between the 1st and 2nd row of bricks (up from the floor), opposite the spy holes. (For large Oval kilns, 2 holes are drilled.) During firing, the top spy hole (only) is kept open as the air intake and the fumes are pulled down and out of the kiln. The motor/blower unit is mounted on the studio wall, away from the heat of the kiln, and (2) 4” x 8 Ft flexible high heat hoses are provided to connect each kiln to a T-Damper on the blower. (In the case of a large oval kiln, both hoses are connected to the kiln and to each inlet of the T-Damper.) Dampers can be opened or closed depending on which kiln is firing or if both are firing together. A third 8 Ft hose connects the blower exhaust to a 4” Dia vent kit similar to the type used for a clothes dryer (included). All required collars, hose clamps and hardware are included.
The Double Vent System Includes:
- 75 cfm Blower Motor unit with wall mounting bracket, 13 Ft power cord with standard 120 V plug, dual T-Damper and an ON/OFF switch with timer
- (3) 4” x 8 Ft flexible high heat hoses
- (2) hose mount collars to connect hoses to the kiln wall
- (1) collar to connect the exit duct to the blower
- (5) hose clamps
- 4” outside vent kit